Let me guess… You’re gift-hunting for your little boy, nephew, or godson? We know exactly just how these little tykes can melt our hearts so much that reason goes out the window. “I’m going to spoil that child rotten! And if it doesn’t break the bank, so much the better…”
Now giving gifts to children only means two things — either your gift will be a big hit or a total washout. Avoid the latter by choosing toys or presents that can give a lot of flexible and imaginative play.
Just to give you an idea, choose gifts that…
- can be played with in different ways
- can be played with or kept even as the child grows up
- can be explored
- will have kids flexing their problem-solving muscles
- will make them active; i.e. running and moving around
- will encourage love for reading
- be used for imaginative pretend play (Think Calvin and Hobbes and the former’s transmogrifier)
Based from our extensive experience in buying our own sons’ toys and gifting our family friends’ sons too, here is our list of best gifts for toy toddlers.
- Great Gifts for Boys
- Dinosaur Bubble Shooter
- VTech Dump Truck
- Star Projector for Bedroom
- Rock & Roll Alphabet
- Mega Bloks First Builders
- Little Tikes T Ball Set
- VTech Drum Set
- Little Tikes Mower
- Ball Drop and Roll
- Munchkin Nightlight
- Little Tikes Basketball
- Little Tikes Rocking Horse
- Paw Patrol Foam Sofa
- Power Wheels Kawasaki
- Intex Rainbow Ring
- Little Tikes Waterpark
Great Gifts for Boys
These presents will turn your loved one into a playground legend…
Dinosaur Bubble Shooter
Dinosaurs and bubbles? Win-win! And to make this Dinosaur bubble shooter gun even more exciting, it comes with spectacular lights and sounds.
For 3 years and up
- Has a cute dinosaur roar
- Comes with LED lights
- Makes tons of bubbles
- Dishwashing liquid works for refilling bottles
- Great seller; very communicative and helpful
- Huge hit with children!
- No way to turn off the LED lights and sound, in case you want to
- Battery-operated; will make bigger and less bubbles as the batteries wear down
VTech Dump Truck
Trucks are a huge favorite with toddlers. Not only are they big versions of cars, they are also container units for anything that can fit in them like small toys and rocks. And this particular toy is rigged with other features that bump up the educational learning like numbers, songs, phrases, colors, and so on.
This toy is the #1 Bestseller in baby toy gift sets.
6 months to 3 years
- The wheels, bells and whistles are a big hit
- Sturdy and durable
- Songs and voices can be irritating
- Needs adult supervision on account of the string
Star Projector for Bedroom
Gift your little one with magic and fascination for the stars with this Star Projector for bedroom play. Turn this on and you get an instant canopy of beautiful stars on your bedroom ceiling. This is a great nighttime ritual for young kids.
For all ages
- The star constellations look awesome
- You can also switch out the colors to monochrome or colored lights of your choice
- Despite the cheap price and feel, ours is surprisingly still working!
- Made in China and has a cheap feel
- You can’t rely on the instructions (easy to figure out but if you get stuck, just go to its Amazon page where there are a lot of helpful peeps)
Rock & Roll Alphabet
If you are gifting a cool set of parents who are lovers of rock and roll music, consider this artistic children’s alphabet book. In the beginning, little kids will point out musical instruments they can identify, and later on, they will be naming the Beatles and other iconic musicians.
For all ages
- Vibrant photos for each page
- A surprising hit with the kids and their parents
- Trivia is quite new and fresh
- Great addition to any library
- Will disappoint if you expect a truckload of info; the pages hold sound bites of info instead
Mega Bloks First Builders
Toddlers love building and architecture-ing. Your tot can spend lots of play hours stacking and creating his masterpieces from these Mega Bloks first builders 80-piece. These are the #1 Best Sellers in Toddler Mechanic Toys.
For ages 12 months – 5 years
- Promotes flexible and imaginative play
- Develops hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills
- Encourages exploration and building
- Kids love the base that has the wheels on it; doubles as a car toy
- The blocks are in red, blue, yellow, and green so you can make a game out of asking for the right color to be fetched.
- Do not lock in place like Legos
- There should be more non-single blocks so you can build more stuff
Little Tikes T Ball Set
Pry kids away from tech gadgets with active playsets like this Little Tikes T Ball set. Get your kid an early start on baseball with this fun batting set for beginners.
For 18 months to 4 years
- Height is adjustable and ranges from 21.5″ at the lowest to 3″ higher.
- Great toy for developing eye-hand coordination and motor skills
- There are 5 balls so kids can take multiple swings
- Great for outdoor play
- Very durable and holds up well
- Stays upright even if it is made of plastic
- Adults have taken a turn at this and the ball goes out very far too
- Huge hit with kids!
- You might need a weight if you put this down in grass or other uneven surface
- Bat is made of plastic and hollow but a small 2 year old might find it a bit heavy
VTech Drum Set
Does your kid love to bang on pots and pans? A good and sturdy set is in order. According to VTech Kidibeats drum set reviews, kids love this toy. It is the #1 Best Seller in Toddler Electronic Learning Systems.
For 2 to 5 years
- Each of the drum pads and cymbal have their own unique sound
- There are 9 melodies including dance, pop, and rock
- Kids can learn letters and numbers from this toy too
- Has both free play and structured mode
- For structured play, kids can follow the lights on the drum surfaces and learn their letters and numbers at the same time
- Not annoyingly loud
- Very durable; made for real banging
- Standalone photo makes the toy big; actually smaller in real life
- Settings will be difficult for parents who are not savvy with instructions
Little Tikes Mower
Here’s another great outdoor for children — a lawnmower! While the parents or grandparents are outside gardening, your kid can join in the fun with his Little Tikes mower.
For 19 months to 15 years
- Has popping beads that pop when pushed
- Kids love to turn the key to hear the clicking sound and they love to pull the cord too to hear the engine sounds
- Has a fun removable gas can
- No batteries are needed!
- If you have big weeds, the small wheels on this mower might not roll over them
- Adults find the popping noise distracting indoors
Ball Drop and Roll
Hypnotize your little ones with this Little Tikes ball drop and roll toy. It has several layers of play and teaches colors and simple Physics.
For 1 to 3 years
- Develops fine motor skills
- Will teach kids how to match colors
- Kids find it fun to balance the balls in each color divot
- Fun for a certain age only
- If not assembled properly, won’t stand on carpet
It’s not unusual for a toddler to be afraid of big dark spaces. This Munchkin Light My Way Nightlight will be very comforting for him to have at night. This is especially useful in night time trips to the bathroom or whilst transferring rooms. It has an automatic shut-off timer so it can be left on as the little tyke falls asleep.
Based off rave reviews from all my small giftees, this is a 10/10 winner. (Confession: I actually have one myself…)
For all ages!
- Doesn’t break easily despite accidental falls to the floor or rough handline
- Doesn’t drain batteries easily
- The on/off button is hard to figure for toddlers (especially if you don’t show them where it is!)
- Automatically turns off after 20 minutes if you leave it on
- Always cool to the touch
- You’ll really have to use batteries as USB-charging is not an option
- Some buyers complain about putting in and removing batteries
Little Tikes Basketball
Get your toddler moving with this beginner Little Tikes basketball set.
18 months to 5 years
- Very durable; withstands rough play
- Can be carried from room to room and indoors and outdoors
- Great game set to have around especially when there are a bunch of kid visitors
- Very addictive; kids will spend hours shooting hoops
- Hoop is adjustable to six heights from 2-4 feet
- With free rim and basketball!
- Develops gross motor skills along with hand to eye coordination
- Hoop net needs to be placed correctly or else it will keep coming off which is annoying
- Will need sand or water in the base if you want it to be more stable
Little Tikes Rocking Horse
Gallop away with this Little Tikes rocking horse. This is an excellent choice for very young children.
- The construction is very durable; will last for a long time
- Great for playing in both indoors and outdoors
- Perfectly sized for toddlers
- Won’t tip over; the seat will keep the kids from falling
- Handles are very easy to grip
- Develops motor skills
- May scuff hardwood or linoleum surfaces
- Needs adult supervision if child is a crazy rocker
Paw Patrol Foam Sofa
We love kid sofas. They’re the perfect size for little children who can’t quite fit in adult furniture yet. And the fact that they are convertible into a bed mattress is great. My children used to make it a sort of play mat and would spread their toys on it. Sometimes, it was just a bed and they’d fall asleep on it.
And the designs are super cute too.
18 months – 4 years
- Multi-function bed and sofa
- Comfortable for kids
- Perfect for kids who love Paw Patrol
- Hard to wash
- You’ll be disappointed if you’re expecting some wooden frame; it’s all foam
Power Wheels Kawasaki
Want your child to look seriously cool? Get him this set of wheels. This fiery Kawasaki will surely make any child’s day.
12 months to 3 years
- A big hit with children
- Battery is great and can last long without charging
- Easy setup
- Not recommended for big kids
- Stickers eventually peel off
- Only drives in forward gear and not backwards
- Wheels don’t grip as well on hardwood or tile
Intex Rainbow Ring
This is an ideal gift for a child who loves the water or for a family with a lot of kids. At least 5 toddlers can fit in the pool. Can also double as an indoor ball pit.
- Affordable price
- Kids love the slide and the two swim areas
- Some parents experienced tearing after use
- Takes a long time to blow up
Little Tikes Waterpark
This water table is loaded with features that will keep your kid or a group of kids busy for quite awhile. It’s always fun to play with water and children are sure to enjoy it. In addition, it will help develop motor skills and social skills in the process.
This waterpark is the #1 Bestseller in toddler gyms and tables.
24 months – 6 years
- A big hit with young children who love water
- Good quality for the price; sturdy and durable
- Bigger in real life
- A handful of parents found assembly difficult