Are you gift-hunting for your little niece or goddaughter? Then you’re in the right place! We’re experts in finding the best gifts for girl toddlers.
We hate wasting money on something that will be discarded after a few minutes and left to gather dust on a shelf. Like us, you want to give presents that will last and that will become a cherished childhood memory. So how do you make a good choice?
Here are some things you should keep in mind. Choose gifts that…
- can be used in different ways
- can grow with the child
- will have them solving problems and exploring
- promote pretend play
- get them moving
- will encourage them to start reading
As you might have guessed from the title, we’ve come up with a list of 17 great toys that tick these boxes and that toddlers actually like to play with. How do we know? With the help of the many little girls we know, we’ve put all of these through their paces.
Here’s a photo of our own toys; the ones we could find around the house, that is.
Let the list begin!
- Great Gifts for Girls
- Baby Einstein Musical Toy
- Sassy Bumpy Ball
- Star Projector for Bedroom
- Mega Bloks First Builders
- Bath Fountain Rocket
- Skip Hop Backpack Hedgehog
- Fisher Price Bubble Mower
- Buckle Toy Buster
- VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker
- Munchkin Nightlight
- Minnie Bedding Set
- OK to Wake! Owl
- Little Tikes First Slide
- Little Tikes Rocking Horse
- Buildabear’s Sweet Velvet Teddy
- Fisher-Price My First Dollhouse
Great Gifts for Girls
These presents will turn your loved one into a playground legend…
Baby Einstein Musical Toy
Little children love music and musical toys. This Baby Einstein take along tunes is no exception. It’s a good starter gift and is also a great distraction toy for a car ride.
For 6 months to 2 years
- The classical tunes are nice and not annoying at all
- You can control the volume
- Very portable and durable
- Value for money
- If you put it down, the sounds become muffled because the speaker is located at the bottom
Sassy Bumpy Ball
This is a great first toy for little ones. Unlike normal balls, this toy offers a tactile experience and will develop fine and gross motor skills. This can be given to a child to play with as soon as he or she can sit up and grasp objects.
This sassy ball is the #1 bestseller in balls for babies and toddlers.
- Teaches textures and variety
- Toddlers gravitate to their favorite texture and rattling sound
- Soft and durable
- A handful of parents report tearing or the stuffing coming out
Star Projector for Bedroom
This Star Projector is another huge hit with the little ones I gifted it to. Instead of an ordinary night light, you can turn this on and get a glowing canopy of stars on your ceiling. Very dreamy and magical. My little niece didn’t want to turn it off.
For all ages
- The lights and patterns are beautiful
- You can change the color of the lights
- Product doesn’t feel superior but it’s been reliable and it works!
- For the price, this is no means a high quality product; expect a rather cheap feel
- Instructions are useless; you will have to figure out what the buttons are for
Mega Bloks First Builders
Building blocks are always a great idea. You’ll get lots of creative play out of these Mega Bloks first builders 80-piece. Incidentally, these are the #1 bestsellers in toddler mechanical toys.
For ages 12 months – 5 years
- Develops fine motor skills and open-ended play
- Stimulates imagination and discovery
- The base that comes with wheels is a big hit; kids play with it on its own
- These are bigger blocks than legos – perfect for little hands
- Come in primary colors so they can help children learn their colors by asking for the red/blue/yellow blocks
- Fit rather loosely
- Needs more of the non-single blocks for construction
Bath Fountain Rocket
Make bathtime into a fun experience with this innovative bath toy. Kids can submerge the fountain rocket to collect bath water and watch the starfish inside wiggle. When full, it can empty from the rocket in a dome shape. This is a sneaky way to get your toddler willingly wet from the top of his head.
For 12 months and up
- A good solution for kids who don’t like getting their head or hair wet in the bath
- Super fun to play with; kids love watching the fountain fill up and the starfish dance
- Will wet hair but not rinse it
- Designed in such a way that it won’t get moldy
Skip Hop Backpack Hedgehog
Little tykes like to carry their own bags as soon as they can walk around. The Skip Hop is an awesome bag that’s both eye candy and practical. And there’s a cute bag for any animal you can think of! We like the butterfly but the Skip Hop Backpack Hedgehog seems to be the most popular.
- Has an insulated pouch for snacks
- Mesh bottle pocket is adjustable
- Straps are padded and adjustable
- Really cute!
- Very durable
- Material does not easily fade; also no color bleeding in the wash
- BPA and Phthalate-free
- Does not fit standard-sized folders so don’t get this if your child is bringing folder-sized stuff to pre-K
- Water bottle netting is not high enough for sports bottles
Fisher Price Bubble Mower
This toy lawnmower lets your toddler spend hours of fun and active play with bubbles and lawnmover sound effects. This Fisher Price bubble mower is the #1 Best Seller in Preschool Garden Play.
For 24 months – 5 years
- The start-up switch is realistic
- Has a one-touch refill system
- Sounds like a real lawnmower
- Bubbles are fun fun fun
- Works well on any surface including grass
- No batteries!
- You’ll have to try a different bubble solution if the bubbles don’t want to come out
- There’s a knack to getting the right speed for the bubbles to come out
Buckle Toy Buster
Buster may look a bit goofy but he’s a great toy for engaging play. Buckle Toy Buster helps little kids master the art of buckling and unbuckling, a basic life skill that needs to be learned.
For 12 months to 4 years
- Helps toddlers develop fine motor coordination
- Can also teach basic colors since the buckles are to be matched
- Very handy; can be clipped on to diaper bag, shopping cart, or high chair
- Great distraction toy for trips in the car or while waiting for your orders in the restaurant!
- Perfect for kids who are obsessed with buckles; yes, there really are kids who love buckles like crazy
- This is a very small toy; do not expect throw pillow size
- For the price, it’s a bit on the expensive side. If you have to try one of these though but want a cheaper one, check out the mini buster for half the price.
VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker
We didn’t have this growing up. We just had a simple walker! This amazing toy has all the bells and whistles Inspector Gadget himself would go crazy for. Includes piano keys, rollers, shapes, light up buttons, play telephone, sing-along songs, and more.
For 9 months to 3 years
- Very interactive and will keep your child busy for quite a while
- A big hit with the small ones
- Easy to put together
- It’s made from plastic but it’s good quality
- Wheels have adjustable speed control for babies that can’t walk well yet
- Not foldable
- Phone is not connected so may get lost
If your little toddler is afraid of the dark, the Munchkin Light My Way Nightlight is a great gift to get. Sure it’s not a toy but it’s very practical and the kids love the cute glowing owl. I can’t count how many of these I’ve given out. It’s safe to say that I’ve given this to all my friends’ younger children and it always gets rave reviews. Kids love this night light! (Confession: I actually have one myself…)
For all ages!
- Doesn’t easily break even if it accidentally falls; durable
- Very energy efficient; batteries last long
- Kids don’t easily figure out how to turn it off which is a plus when you don’t want them playing with the on/off button too much
- It has an automatic shut off after 20 minutes
- Never gets hot
- Only comes battery operated; cannot be charged via USB
- Some buyers have had problems with the batteries
Minnie Bedding Set
Children will never forget their bedroom as a child. Make your child’s room special with this special bedding set. Minnie’s Fluttery Friends is the #1 Bestseller in toddler bedding sets.
- Fits on a toddler bed very well
- Great quality cloth and print
- Gets wrinkles after washing
- Comforter is on the thin side
OK to Wake! Owl
We’re suckers for wakey alarm clock toys and this one is adorable. It also doubles as a huggie toy, has a night light, talks, and even plays six lullabies. A bit on the pricey but expected when you consider all the features.
For 0 to 3 years
- Multi-function; wakey alarm toy and sleeping buddy with night light
- Sound can be turned off
- May or may not work on your child as a wake up device
- A handful of parents received faulty items
Little Tikes First Slide
If you’ve got a spacious house or backyard, a slide is fun toy to give to the kids. Great for single play or when other kids come over. This Little Tikes first slide is the #1 Best Seller for Toddler Outdoor Play.
For 1.5 – 4 years
- Perfect beginner’s slide
- Size is perfect for small kids
- Easy assembly; handrails snap into place
- Made in the USA
- Very sturdy
- Does not tip over
- Needs adult supervision to be on the safe side
- Ladder needs to be removed from the slide to store it
Little Tikes Rocking Horse
Every little tyke needs a rocking horse. This Little Tikes rocking horse is designed for small toddlers.
For 1 to 3 years
- Great for small indoor or outdoor play areas
- Seat will keep little kids from falling forward or back
- Good grip handles; made in the USA
- Develops simple coordination and motor skills
- Not ideal for hardwood or linoleum floors
- Needs supervision for exuberant rocking as it might flip
If you give a teddy bear to a child, you just might be giving him his lifelong companion. My 18-year old son grew up with this same exact bear — The Sweet Velvet Teddy —except that his was the older model. (We debated whether to make a Facebook profile for the bear…) I’d say of the whole list, this is the absolute best gift for girl toddlers (AND boys, actually).
For all ages
- This is a hypoallergenic bear; it’s asthma-friendly and created for kids who have allergies and asthma-related problems.
- Super sweet face; our favorite from this brand (and we have a lot!)
- Lasts; ours is now more than a decade old and hasn’t needed repairing so far (Pro-tip: Keep away from dogs!!)
- You can personalize this bear with stitching to make it even more special
- Get ready for crying time when the bear needs to get a washing
- On the expensive end
Fisher-Price My First Dollhouse
What little girl doesn’t want a dollhouse? Nuff said. BTW, this Fisher Price My First Dollhouse is #2 Best Seller in Doll Furniture.
For 24 months – 5 years
- Promotes finger and hand dexterity
- Encourages pretend play and roleplaying
- Comes with family
- No small parts
- Very sturdy
- Very cute
- If you want additional furnishings, you’d have to buy them
- Doesn’t come with a bed
Good luck with the gift-hunting! And check out our birthday greetings section before you go.