Looking for the best gifts for tween girls?
Compared to boys, it’s thankfully easier to shop for gifts for girls. But what exactly is a tween anyway?
“Tweens” is a relatively newly-coined term that refers to the in-between ages of 8 to 12 years old. If your preschool or toddler was infinitely sweet of disposition, expect some changes during these tumultous years. Her body is getting flooded by hormones, her brain is rewiring, and her sense of self is getting shaken up.
There are little things you can do to help her along though. For example, making sure she gets enough sleep, limiting her computer use, and making sure she gets exercise are just some of the things you can do to guide her.
Keeping these in mind, we’ve put together this shortlist of the best presents for your tween girl. Don’t worry. We haven’t forgotten the fun factor!
Top 10 Gifts for Tween Girls
Guaranteed hours of engaged and interactive play
Sleepover Party Mad Libs
At this age, girls tend to focus on their friends a lot so sleepovers will be a regular thing. Mad libs are a fun way to liven up your child’s party and they’re super cheap too. You can gift them on any ordinary day or as an added gift for important occasions like birthdays.
These are the #1 Bestsellers for children’s general humor books.
Ages 8 to 12 years old
- A hit with the kids
- Super affordable
- Perfect for sleepovers, parties, or summer camp
- Not ideal for younger kids as they need to know the parts of the sentence like verb, noun, etc.
Peace Diary with Lock and Keys
What girl doesn’t need her diary? It might be the digital age but some things never change. And unlike typing on her phone, a diary is a lasting memento of her thoughts and activities for a certain period of time.
Ages 6 to 15 years old
- Complete with lock; diaries must have locks!
- The diary itself is hardbound and very durable
- There are 250 pages of cute pink lined pages
- As cute as or even cuter in real life
- Lock is not as sturdy; it’s made of plastic
- Photo makes it look bigger but it’s actually smaller than a regular notebook (7 x 5.5 inches)
Uno Emoji Card Game
This is an UNO card game with a twist. The cards have emojis and you have to make the emoji face until your next turn.
Ages 7 to 15 years old
- Lots of fun; good replay value
- Very handy to bring around
- Kids love emojis so it’s a hit for them
- Box sometimes comes smushed
Fashion Angels Make-Up Portfolio
Keep your tween away from your makeup by giving her her own makeup portfolio. The good news though is that instead of experimenting on her face, she’ll be designing on a sketch pad instead. She’ll be creating different looks with makeup, hairstyles, and nail designs.
Ages 8 to 15 years old
- A good choice for the tween who loves fashion and makeup
- Lets your child be creative and artistic
- Can be calming and comforting
- Not really a con but the fun would double with a big bunch of erasable colored pencils so get her those too
Insect Lore Butterfly Garden
I love giving out butterfly gardens! Basically, you get 5 baby caterpillars delivered to you. The package will include their food, a feeding pipette, a mesh habitat, and instructions.
After a few days, the caterpillars will become chrysalis and your tween (and yourself) will have the opportunity to see caterpillars morph into beautiful butterflies.
If you are giving as a gift, you might want to get the voucher instead since you don’t want to make the caterpillars wait indefinitely. There’s an added fee for processing that though.
This is the #1 Bestseller in Biology science kits.
- Good bonding activity with parent as you get to see a miracle unfold together
- Great for nurturing scientific curiosity and helping the butterfly population
- Get your child interested in living things and garden life (maybe you can even grow plants together after?)
- Overall great fun
- If you get the voucher instead, there is a $7.95 additional fee for processing
Exploding Kittens Card Game
Okay so the complete name of this game is actually Exploding Kittens: A Card Game About Kittens and Explosions and Sometimes Goats. That should already tell you that this game is on the crazy side. The end game is NOT to draw an exploding kitty card and be the sole survivor ala Hunger Games.
Ages 7 years old and up
- Fun family game that can be played with a set of friends too
- Hilarious and silly gameplay
- For all ages
- Good replay value
- When we bought ours in 2016, the quality of the cards was not so good as they peeled easily; not sure if they fixed that already
Be Amazing Insta-Snow Jar
This is a fun science thing to do for your tween. The snow polymer erupts when you add water. You make gallons of fake snow and it looks real too!
This is the #1 Bestseller in Physics science kits.
- Nurture scientific curiosity as the science behind is tackled
- This branded version really expands more and feels softer and more satisfying when constituted with water
- Tickles your hands as it expands; huge fun for all ages
- Can be used repeatedly
- If reused too much, it goes gray and not as pretty anymore
Personalized Ballerina Jewelry Box
If she doesn’t have one yet, get your tween this beautiful jewelry box. I love this for many reasons. The outside is very tasteful and in the middle of the heart, you can ask the seller to engrave your child’s name on it (if you buy it off the Lenox website).
Inside, there’s a ballerina that will dance and twirl to Für Elise. The compartments are lined in a pretty pink. She can store her cherished items in this box.
It can easily become a childhood prized possession.
Ages 8 years old and up
- Great quality
- Compartments are very organized
- Tray is removable
- There is a glue smell so it needs to be aired
- Having it engraved at the official website is costly — an additional $34; it makes it more special though
Razor A5 Lux Scooter
Razor scooters aren’t just for boys. If your tween is on the athletic side and she does well with physical activities, get her a Razor Lux scooter. I promise she’ll have hours and hours of fun. (And get yourself one too!) If you’re buying for another person’s child though, be sure to get permission first as they might not want their child on a scooter.
FYI… these Razor scooters are the best in quality.
Ages 8 to 15 years old
- Amazing quality; great price
- Rides very smoothly and can do tricks
- Foldable so easy to store
- Great for getting the kids playing outdoors
Catan 5th Edition
This is one of the best strategy board games around, if not the best. As we know, kids can often have very short attention spans so it’s great that Catan can take less than an hour to play. Personally way better than our other board games like Game of Thrones and Monopoly.
A justifiable recipient of the “Game of the Century” award.
Ages 8 to 15 years old
- Very addicting for all ages
- Super super huge fun; big hit with family and friends
- Fast gameplay so you can finish one game in less than an hour
- Very easy to play; kids will grasp the mechanics easily
- Beware counterfeit versions; if you end up with a counterfeit one, make sure it’s replaced