When I turned 19 I abruptly stopped getting gifts from friends and family. It caused me to turn into a bitter, twisted misanthrope. (The only hope for me now is to be visited by 3 ghosts one Christmas Eve.)
The moral of the story is – don’t stop buying gifts for young adults just because it’s hard to choose one. Sure, your typical 19 or 20-year-old is annoying as heck and thinks they know everything better than you. And their taste in clothes/music/everything is so alien that you wouldn’t even know where to start.
But guess what? I decided to sit down and compile this list of fool-proof gifts for young adults. (Call it my good deed for the year.) Sure, they might roll their eyes when they open it, but in their hearts they will be THRILLED and with any luck they’ll emerge from their multi-year cocoon of snark happy and fulfilled.
On with the list!
- 10 Best Gifts for Adults
- Cards Against Humanity
10 Best Gifts for Adults
For the techie and fun-loving person
Go F*ck Yourself, I’m Coloring
It is worth mentioning that the complete name for this book is “Go F*ck Yourself, I’m Coloring: Swear Word Coloring Book”. Grandma might not appreciate it at first glance but for young adults and older people with a twisted sense of humor, it will be a big hit.
I used to give out adult coloring books by the dozen and indeed, you can only color so many butterflies, flowers, and random abstract designs. This humorous book by Alex Fleming has “entertaining profanity” that goes well with the accompanying art.
This is the #1 Bestseller in Anger Management Self Help.
- Good quality; you can use gel pens and the colors won’t bleed through
- Adorable, funny, and offensive at the same time
- Great gag gift
- Excellent gift for a friend who has a potty mouth
- Pages are not as thick as some of the best coloring books around
- Not a good gift for sensitive folks who are easily offended
Cards Against Humanity
Similar to the swear word coloring book, this is a tongue-in-cheek gift. It is advertised as a “party game for horrible people”. That right there should give you an idea of what to expect.
In a nutshell, Black cards ask questions and White cards hold answers. When a Judge draws a black card, players must answer with their funniest White Card.
Warning! Some of the cards are vulgar/explicit/raunchy but that’s what makes the game funny. See for yourself in this video below. It’s the cast of Glee playing the game with Ellen.
- Big hit for group play
- Yes, families play it too and have huge fun (Parental advisory might be needed)
- Replay value
- Not for the easily offended
- Not for young kids
Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia
This beautiful book is a precious collectible for hardcore fans of The Legend of Zelda. Don’t buy this book if you’re not sure what your giftee already has as there are other volumes and your kid might have this already.
If this is made upon special request though, don’t hesitate to buy it. This is a beautiful hardcover book about an equally beautiful game with awesome world-building. You can bet that it will be treasured forever.
- Amazing quality on this book from the physical aspect to its contents
- Includes official timeline of The Legends of Zelda and details about every game released
- Invaluable addition to one’s Zelda collection
- Worth every penny
- None, unless you get a damaged copy; if you do, make sure to get a replacement
Starbucks Gift Card
What young adult doesn’t go to Starbucks to get coffee, study, meet friends, or chill? A Starbucks gift card would be a safe yet very useful gift for your giftee.
- Very practical gift; sure to be used
- Great for must-have-coffee-but-I’m-broke emergencies
Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub
If you’ve already given out flashlights, power banks, and gift cards, there’s one more techie thing that you can fall back on — a data hub.
Old folks won’t understand but for multi-gadgeted folks, one USB port is like going on a vacation with just one pair of underwear. Add more ports to your laptop or computer with this data hub.
- Super speed transfers
- Heat resistant and very durable
- Has a warranty for 18 months and Anker has awesome customer support
- Some customers had issues with their products and either received refunds or replacements
Traveler’s Notebook Brown Leather
This Midori notebook is primarily intended for the scrapbooker. Midori notebooks are highly prized by these hobbyists for the fine paper and notebook quality.
If you have a giftee who likes to jot on notebooks though, you can also gift this. My husband has one he bought from 6 years ago and it still looks mighty handsome. The wear and tear just gives it more personality.
- Hand made leather cover
- Refills are available for the Midori paper
- Years down the road and this leather notebook will just look as fine
- Not bulky; easy to write on
- Something that you can treasure for many years
- Amazing value for the price
- None that I could think of; overpriced at first glance but it will prove its worth in the years to come
Monopoly: Game of Thrones
Is your giftee addicted to watching the latest episode and season of Game of Thrones? Then this collector’s edition Monopoly game would be the perfect gift.
- Specially customized for the GOT franchise like villages, keeps, and custom money
- Beautiful tokens like a dragon egg, a direwolf, and white walker
- Great quality for the price
- Creators should have used customized substitutes for free parking and jail
- Some of the print is too fine
- Some get their boxes with minor damage
Kindle Paperwhite E-reader
I’m a huge fan and user of the Kindle series. As testament, I have the latest Oasis as of writing. Overpriced maybe but I needed the raised buttons. Having said that, I’d say that the most value-for-money Kindle ever manufactured is still hands down the Paperwhite.
So, if you have a budget to spend on a giftee who likes to read, then this Kindle would be a worthy gift. It’s really like reading on paper but with all the digital benefits. Thousands of books you can fit in this little baby.
- Best value for money out of all the Kindles
- Great gift for serious readers
- You can store thousands of books on a Kindle
- Gift the love for reading
- If your giftee doesn’t like to read, you can’t force it with a Kindle
- Not for kids who easily break things (I dropped mine and it was out of warranty and totally my fault but Amazon still gave me a discount on my next Kindle purchase)
Seagate 1TB Portable External Hard Drive
Seagate is a trusted brand for external hard drives and folks this is USB 3.0 in case you’re wondering so it’s speedy. Gift this to somebody who needs to store data in a physical drive.
(I’ll give you a free tip though. If it’s your own child and your child has internet access everywhere, I’d recommend a Dropbox subscription. Similarly 1TB but in the cloud so it’s accessible anywhere so long as you have Internet access. It’s a recurring fee of $4.00 a month if I’m not mistaken. However, if internet access is not guaranteed, get the hard drive.)
- Physical storage; won’t need Internet to access the cloud
- Brand is trusted
- Plug and play
- May stop working at some point (I am a bitter gourd about Seagate as I purchased 2 but all stopped working at some point. Other people’s are fine though so I can’t speak for everybody.)
- Make sure to back up your back up
Apple Watch Series 1 Smartwatch
Isn’t this a beauty? Millenials and young adults are gadget freaks so this should be an easy hit.
- Once you have it, you’ll wonder how you functioned without before
- Works seamlessly with the iPhone
- Great for tracking mails, appointments, health goals, and so on
- Not an option for Android users
- Some features stopped working for some buyers after a few months (Got help from Amazon for returns)