Are you shopping for a small child who is 4 to 5 years of age? If you’re shopping for your son, a favorite nephew, or even a cherished grandson, you’ll know that finding the best gifts for preschool boys is no easy task.
Anybody with kids know that the infant and toddler years are EXHAUSTING. You don’t get to sleep, and you’re on your guard all the time. (Toddlers can get to amazing places and unbelievable predicaments at the blink of an eye.)
This is is probably why I loved the preschooler years so much with my children. You get a bundle of cuteness, adorableness, and an emerging sense of self and independence at this age.
Oh, the walks we took and the conversations my sons and I had! The little ones nattered on about the number of atoms in a glass, how butterflies come from caterpillars, why a circle had no edges, and so on!
And this is precisely why this list of preschool gifts is so different from our best gifts for todder girls and boys. If those toys for boy toddlers and girl toddlers were for teaching basic skills and refining motor development, this batch of awesome toys are all about exploration and discovery!
Here is our list of best gifts for preschooler boys. (But do remember, these gifts are great for girls too!)
- Great Gifts for Boys
- The Everything Kids’ Science Experiments
- Stomp Rocket Junior
- Radio Flyer Little Red Toy Wagon
- VTech Drill and Learn Toolbox
- Melissa & Doug Latches Activity Board
- The Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel Game
- Imaginext Mega Apatosaurus
- LEGO Truck & Tracked Excavator
- Melissa & Doug Dust Sweep Mop Set
- Pretend & Play Doctor Set
- Kidwinz Shock Proof Binoculars Set
- Pretend & Play Calculator Cash Register
Great Gifts for Boys
Guaranteed hours and hours of fun and exploration.
The Everything Kids’ Science Experiments
My children loved this book! A lot of messes were created with the experiments they did but it made the kids very curious about the world and unafraid to try new experiences.
This is the #1 Bestseller in children’s Science experiment books.
- Parents and teachers love this book
- Directions are easy to follow
- Most materials are items you’d normally find around the house so you don’t spend as much
- A lot of fun!
- Actual book is smaller than expected
Stomp Rocket Junior
If you want hours of family fun where even the youngest child and the oldest adult can play, then get this Stomp Rocket Junior. It’s a very simple yet fantastic toy!
For 3 years old and up
- Award winning toy; iParenting Media Award for excellent product and Top Toy of the Year from Creative Child magazine
- Can be used indoor or outdoor
- Has 4 reusable rockets
- Glows at night
- Can go at least a 100 feet high
- Fantastic toy; huge hit with children
- You might have to tighten the wingnut several times
- Base could be sturdier
- Prepare for a lot of exercise retrieving lost rockets
Radio Flyer Little Red Toy Wagon
This was our starter wagon for the kids when they were very small. Just to make it clear, this is a mini-wagon for really small kids. It can fit a teddy bear or a small toy but that’s about it. It is 14 x 8 x 6 inches.
This is the #1 Bestseller for kids’ pull-along wagons.
For 3 to 12 years
- Very cute
- Just the right weight and size for a very small child to pull around
- A couple of parents found some parts missing so if you’re getting this, be sure to assemble right away so you don’t miss the return window
VTech Drill and Learn Toolbox
A toolbox is a great present for children. It puts them in a “how-it-works” and “how-to-repair” mindset. These are helpful skills that they’ll carry with them as adults.
For 2 to 5 years old
- Great for pretend play of fixing and repairing stuff around the house
- Kids love to “help out” when the adults are putting together furniture and whatnot
- Good replay value
- The drill does not fit in the toolbox
- Drill is NOT automatic so you have to pull the trigger repeatedly
- There are only 2 nails and 2 screws
Melissa & Doug Latches Activity Board
This activity board will teach your child how to operate 6 different latches. Good for developing motor skills. Also educational as it helps in the discovery of animals, numbers, colors, and so on.
This is the #1 Bestseller in pegged puzzles.
For 3 to 6 years old
- Very very durable
- Very well-made; lives up to the Melissa & Doug brand
- On the heavy side so may not be a good travel toy
The Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel Game
This game was recommended by a mom with a son with autism so I got it for a nephew who was in a similar state. My kids and the nephew had so much fun with this game and they played it often whenever they would meet! I was really glad I got it when I did.
For 3-7 years old
- Great color matching game
- Teaches matching, sorting, counting, and simple math skills
- Great first board game for a child
- Hours of fun play
- Easy to set up and clean
- Has small parts
- The acorns are tiny so you have to be careful they don’t get lost
Imaginext Mega Apatosaurus
If you are looking for a big, high-quality dinosaur toy, then this is highly recommended. My daughter and son would frequently fight over who would get this toy. Fortunately, I could afford two! Great price.
For 3-8 years old
- Fun imaginary play
- Has cool transforming tech armor and cannons that fire at the press of a button
- Gear is removeable
- Includes Mega Apatosaurus with motorized action, pop-up armor, two projectiles, and Imaginext figure with armor
- Very durable
- Perfect for dino lovers
- Needs batteries
- Comes in one size
LEGO Truck & Tracked Excavator
This is a beginner set of Legos. If your child likes pretend construction or building play, then this is a good choice for a gift.
For 2 to 5 years old
- Engages children very well especially if they also read construction story books with mom and dad
- Great quality as expected from Lego
- Great replay value
- None that I can think of
Melissa & Doug Dust Sweep Mop Set
If you think cowboy or astronaut pretend play sets always win the day, think again! You’ll be surprised but this Melissa and Doug dust sweep mop set is REALLY a big hit with the kids. We kid you not! They’ll drop their nerf guns and tea party sets to get first crack at the mop or broom. (Personally, I think it’s because little kids naturally love being their parents’ or teachers’ assistants.)
For 3-6 years
- With natural wooden handles; it’s Melissa and Doug, duh
- The broom really sweeps, the dustpan works, and the duster dusts
- Keeps kids away from dirty brooms and mops at home
- Teaches important life skills
- Make sure to get new iterations as the early versions (circa 2014) had quality issues like the mop shedding. M & D has since fixed these problems though.
Pretend & Play Doctor Set
There are many doctor sets being sold online but this Pretend and Play Doctor Set is one of the best because of the variety of the medical tools included in the carrying case. They look authentic too! If you’re getting this gift for a child in the house, prepare for a daily check-ups and doctor appointments!
For 3-10 years old
- Great toy for both girls and boys
- There are a lot of instruments so the carrying case is very handy
- Award winning!
- Has an auto shut-off feature
- Pager has realistic sounds
- Stethoscope has sounds of a heartbeat or coughing when you press a button. Fun!
- Some parts are not as sturdy
- Some parents found the sounds annoying
- Made of cheap plastic
Kidwinz Shock Proof Binoculars Set
When you gift a child with binoculars, you can expect said child to want to explore outside and this is a good thing! Children need to get out and move more. Get them away from their ipads and whatnot.
This is the #1 Bestseller in children’s detective and spy kits
3 years and up
- Perfect size for small hands and faces
- Very well made
- Strap keeps them in place
- Expect amazing nature walks and hikes with your little one
- The company Kidwinz has some amazing reviews from very happy parents; very responsive and caring of their buyers
- None that I could think of
Pretend & Play Calculator Cash Register
This is one of my personal favorites amongst all of my children’s toys. I’m a bit of a dunce when it comes to Math so I bought this before in the hopes that they become more savvy with money and calculations than me. It’s working so far!
This is the #1 Bestseller for toy cash registers
For 3 years old and up
- Feels like a real cash register; we even used it once during a garage sale
- Durable and well made
- No batteries needed!
- Credit card doesn’t do much
- Fake money is not same size as real money